Monday, March 23, 2009

An Early Morning Surprise...


We have been anxiously awaiting the arrival of our twins for months...but it still took us by surprise when my water broke at 3:15 am on Wednesday, March 18th. I was 32 weeks along and not expecting the boys to come for another 3-4 weeks. However, they had different plans! I called the hospital and very calmly explained that my water had broken. The nurse said to come on in...then David suggested that I tell them I was 32 weeks along with twins. Oh, yes...minor details! Once I explained that, the nurse said I should definitely come to the hospital so they could check me. Well, since I wanted to look good for the pictures, I took the time to fix my hair, put on my makeup, and pack my bag. Around 4:00am, the nurse called me back to check on me. I told her I had had a few contractions but they weren't hurting yet. She said, "Well, we want you to be safe, but you need to get here as soon as posssible so we can see what's going on." I guess maybe I was a little too calm?? So we picked up the pace and arrived at the hospital around 4:30am. (The picture above was taken just before we left for the hospital.)

Since I was only 32 weeks along and having twins, my doctor wanted to transfer me to St. John in Tulsa where the babies could receive the best care for preemies. I was given magnesium sulfate to slow the contractions and get me stable. Once that happened, I was taken to Tulsa by ambulance...lights and sirens blaring! I have to say that was an exciting ride! Once I got to St. John, the excitement was really just beginning...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So happy the boys are here and doing so well..looking forward to seeing them...I think you need to borrow Angela's Au Pair..for a while!!HAPPY ROCKING